Thursday, August 20, 2015

Moria: Failure to Video

This is going to be a short post this week.  I'd intended to have some footage of myself playing Moria, but it turns out that making videos is harder than I thought.  Who knew?  There are millions of kids doing it on Youtube, how complicated can it be?  (As it turns out, very.)

So I don't have much to say, except for a quick update on my Moria progress.  You may recall from my last post that my character died.  In Moria, as in all games of the mid-1970s, death is permanent.  I spent a good few hours creating new characters, grinding for gold, and ultimately dying due to impatience.  Eventually, though, I managed to build a decent character, and I'm back to mapping new areas of the Forest dungeon.  I built his Wizardry score up to 20, which allowed me to join the Circle of Wizards, and much to my delight I gained instant access to the spell which allows me to teleport back to the city from anywhere.  It's great.  Now I can go back to the city instantly, and use the travel function in the Guild to instantly teleport back to my camp (you can set a camp anywhere in the game).  It's cut down on a lot of back-and-forth travel, and should speed up my progress a fair bit.

I'm not sure what's coming next for the blog, though.  I'll have another crack at some video, because I'd like to give a sense of what these games look like in action.  After that it's uncertain, because I'm running out of things to say about Moria.  It's probably time I added another game to my schedule.

2 comments:

  1. Nathan, I use SnagIt to record videos. It costs a little bit, but I think it does a fantastic job and is fairly easy to use. If you want to narrate them as you go, invest in a decent microphone headset, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. I see that it has a free trial period, so I'll check it out.

      And I have to narrate the videos, because watching these games in action can be super disorienting.

      Delete